View of Tomales north, from a hill south of town. Large flat roof left is a warehouse — probably built near the end of the port’s life, when goods needed to be transferred to lighters because of the increasingly shallow water.
Tomales Intersection Early View
A morning image of Tomales’s main intersection, view SW. Two story building right is today’s Diekmann’s General Store; Church of the Assumption is in distance left. Circa 1878.
First Tomales Creamery
Creamery built at Lower Town, Tomales in 1875 — an era of development and economic growth in the village. Photo by Ella Jorgensen circa early 20th century.
Train at Dillon Beach Road Trestle
North West Pacific train #37 crossing trestle near Dillon’s Beach Road, Tomales. 1929 photo by Ella Jorgensen.
Northwestern Pacific Railroad Map of Tomales
This is a 1922 revision of a 1912 railroad map. Non-railroad buildings are per 1911 Sanborn Fire Insurance map of Tomales
Dr. Winn in Front of House
Tomales physician Dr. Winn practiced here in the early 20th century. He is posed here in front of his house and office, still extant today on the east side of Maine Street/Highway One. Photo by Ella Jorgensen.
North Up Highway One After Fire
View north up Highway One across intersection with Dillon’s Beach Road. Most of these buildings are extant and recognizable today. Photo by Ella Jorgensen, early 1920s.
98 First Street with Cars
A sure sign of changing methods of transportation, the first automobile repair shop in Tomales was opened by Swiss immigrant Isadore Cerini in 1915. The Dillon’s Beach Road building, with its original, decorative zinc ridge-crest still intact, is extant today. Circa 1920 photo by Ella Jorgensen.